On to The Goat! Please review all the instructions below as we have made a few changes. This is the first virtual race series we have organized and we appreciate your patience as we try to simplify and improve the process.
Some changes to note:
- We will no longer being using Ultrasignup to have you report your time, you will use the form at the bottom of this webpage.
- We have received permission from Commonweal to provided race flagging through the arroyo section of the course. (Marker 13 through to Marker 17). This will not be regularly maintained it would be best to familiarize yourself with the provided couse information.
- We have added an easy to carry printable cheat sheet on the course document .
Please read through ALL of the instructions:
Commonweal Conservancy who owns and maintains the preserve DOES NOT approve of anyone putting any permanent markings on the trail networks or signs as it is destructive to the natural environment of The Galisteo Basin Preserve.
- Please read through the course document. It has a map of the course including images of each intersection.
- We have been given permission to mark the section of the racecourse that follows the arroyo (Marker 13 – 17) with pink flagging, the rest of the course IS NOT marked with race flagging or any markers other than that the carsonite signs of the basin.
- We suggest printing the map, course document and/or downloading the AllTrails app and course to your phone. The free option includes the ability to see where you are in relation to the course.
- Be cognizant of the weather and trail conditions and do not run your race on a wet/muddy day. This does incredible damage to the trails and parking areas and we would rather they put the race profits to developing more trails than repairing damage.
- The hours of the park are dusk to dawn, respect that.
- There are posted road speed limits within the preserve, respect them.
- If running/hiking alone, let someone know where you are and how long you expect to be gone.
- Follow the state mandated health orders, mask requirements, group size, etc. Since these are constantly changing, I have not included them in this document. Do your research before heading out. NMDOH Website
- Be respectful of other users on the trail, including wild animals (they may bite).
- Leave no trace.
- Hydration/Nutrition/First aid – This is a trail race and if you are unfamiliar with the area you could veer off course, injure yourself, etc. Be prepared for the worst-case scenario. Have water, some method to stay warm (space blanket, etc), emergency food, etc. (another reason to let someone know where you are and how long you will be gone).
- Cell service is spotty, but the GPS on your phone App does work.
RACE DATA Submission Requirements:
- Use the form below to document your time. You must provide proof.
- For a competitive finish we must be able to view the data from the link or .gpx upload and it must include:
- Total time, not just moving time it took you to complete (if you use Strava you can select “Race” and it will account for your total time on the course).
- Date completed (must be between 1/1/2021 and 1/31/2021).
- A map of your run/race track that we can review.
- Suggested APPS are listed and linked below if you do not own a GPS watch/unit, I suggest trying the APP of your choice prior to doing it the day you race.
- Pictures of watches or screenshots of data are not acceptable proof for competitive finishes.
- GPS data must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm MST on 01/31/2021.
- Feel free to send us your race day pics or share them on our Facebook page! We would love to see how you are enjoying the GBP!
- This is our first time doing anything like this so please reach out if you have any questions!